

I've taken to doing things around the house to try to convince myself that baby #4 is truly almost a month away from making his appearance. Unfortunately, that plan's not really working. Because when it comes right down to it, it just doesn't feel like I'm already 8 months pregnant. Sure, I've got this big belly that makes it rather difficult to do things like get clothes out of the back of the dryer, or roll over in bed, or drain a pot of boiling water without pouring it all down myself (that one hurt). And yes, my back hurts when I get up from sitting for too long or when I sit down from standing too long, which most days makes me feel like I've been in constant motion from sunup to sundown. But aside from all of that, I'm having a hard time convincing my mind that D-day is really this close. I'm pretty sure when the nurse asked me at my appointment a few weeks ago if I had registered at the hospital yet that I looked at her like she had two heads. I guess I thought I still had months and months before I even had to think about that part.
And so, to convince myself, I've been making it a point to do things. Things like registering at the hospital. And getting all the baby clothes unpacked, washed and put away in the nursery. And actually starting to talk as if this baby is very much on his way. That's all helped a little bit, but I'm finding that what's helping me the most is listening to this baby's big brothers: Sean, trying to figure out just exactly how old everybody will be when the baby comes, and just exactly when and what time of the year he'll come, and getting more and more excited when he hears that it's just weeks away; Ben, constantly oohing, aahing, patting and loving on my belly with all the excitement that could possibly be found in his 3-year-old self, and kissing the baby/belly good night when it's time for bed; and Jonathan, finally grasping the idea that Mommy's belly=baby, and not really caring about anything beyond that (except that Mommy's protruding belly button is quite funny and makes a great toy).
Maybe after listening to these guys for a few more weeks, the baby's coming won't take me completely by surprise. Maybe.
"Getting ready" could be the title if I found a second to write a blog entry today... even though there's much less excitement connected to my getting ready: I'll be off to Indonesia and Malaysia for almost 4 weeks tomorrow and am hoping to hear the good news of D-Day upon my return. Well, maybe not quite. I'm sure it will be real soon enough :-) Good luck!
ReplyDelete