Friday, July 10, 2009

the birthday boy

I feel like I need to apologize. First birthdays around here are usually kind of a big deal: big fancy cake, lots of friends and family to help celebrate, lots of presents from the lots of friends and family, lots of planning and anticipation leading up to the celebration, and a big announcement that the birthday boy is going to be a big brother.

Jonathan didn't have any of that. But here's what he did have...

a cake made by Mommy (that tasted much better than it looked)...

a few presents from parents, brothers and friends (with plenty of excited help opening them), and cards and money from grandparents and a great...

a (hot, sweaty, crowded) trip to the zoo...

and a quiet little party with the few friends and family who could come.

Jonathan, if you feel gypped about your first birthday when you're 20, I'm sorry. Really. But let me tell you a little something that I've learned in the last 4 years...

A big fancy cake and a cute little theme and lots of presents and people doesn't necessarily make for a better birthday. Sometimes it just makes for stressed-out, hair-pulling craziness. And life's too precious to deal with that. So, really, you're the lucky one. If I had your brothers' first birthdays to do over again, I'd pick your kind. Quiet, happy, and very full of love. Besides, it won Sean's stamp of approval, so what more could you ask for ("It was so ES-CITED!)?

Happy birthday, little guy. We love you so very very much.

P.S. Oh, and the little brother or sister...that's coming. Someday.

3 comments:

  1. You make it sound like you purposefully didn't have any of those things... not exactly the case. But it DID work out well - i'll grant that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Someday"???? As in, within the next nine months??? Are you trying to tell us something?

    ReplyDelete
  3. THAT sounds like the perfect birthday for a guy his age - I'm sure he had a grand time, no matter if it turned out to be like this on purpose or not. I was surprised to learn earlier this year that TWO-year olds have birthday parties... costumes and all.

    ReplyDelete