I've been lamenting lately the fact that Sean still, even with his recent vocabulary explosion, has refused to acknowledge me by name. When prompted he might call me "bah-y" (mommy), but he would never say it on his own. Meanwhile, I've had to sit back and listen to him start naming off all kinds of other relatives: "da-ye" and "men" he's had down for a while, but lately he's added "aunt do" (aunt jo), "be-ye" (mimi) and "mamaw" (the only one he can actually say the way that it's meant to be said). I have to remind myself that just because he doesn't call me by a name he still knows me and loves me and knows how to get my attention, and that's obviously enough for him and should be for me.
Last night I was cleaning up the kitchen and he came running in holding a toy and saying, "Mom! Ook! Dog!" I thought maybe it was a fluke and he was referring to something else, but a few more times last night he most obviously referred to me as "mom." Not real sure where the abbreviated form of mommy came from, since we've never called me "mom," but hey, at this point I'll take whatever I can get. I'm just thrilled to have finally made the list.
That's ok....At least it's "mom" and not "bob"...
ReplyDelete